Hop On Board Nonstop Awesomeness
for the Positive Habit Challenge!
“We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.” ~ Aristotle
The Next “30 Days” begin: July 25, 2011
Registration is now over. If you’d like to be notified of the next Challenge, sign up here.
Have you ever tried to create a positive habit in your life? Maybe something like…
- Exercise more often?
- Eat healthier snacks?
- Read in the morning?
There may be many others you’ve tried over the years, but if you had any luck with that habit sticking, I’m sure it wasn’t easy. Chances are, it probably felt impossible to do this on a regular basis.
When practicing a habit goes awry, it’s frustrating. You had every intention of doing this daily, yet can’t figure out how to make it part of your life!
What if you could easily create an awesome habit AND have fun, connect with fantastic people, and be inspired – every single day?
You’re in luck – you can.
What’s a Fundy? It’s short for Fundamental, a daily practice that supports you in your work and life.
Make an investment in yourself and kick this summer off in high gear!
Connect with others who are excited to improve their life.
Get your habit to stick!
What you’ll get:
- Daily reminder email with inspiration from others, questions to help you look at your life choices, and other goodies
- Online community (currently a closed, private group on Facebook) – support and connection with others who are excited to improve their lives
- Teamed up with another Fundy’s member for check-ins, accountability, and support (not mandatory)
- Worksheet to remind of where you’re going to share with family and friends to build your own support team
- Private session with Nathan to focus and drill down on improvement in your life
- Mini-Mastermind Call with 4 other participants and facilitated by Nathan – experience the power of a group dynamic
- Structure that works and is proven to help you build your habit
- Daily practice and a potentially life-changing experience after only 30 days!
A Note on the Sessions with me…
- I specialize in puzzle solving, finding creative solutions, and seeing the big picture
- I love drilling down and getting specific with how you can most rock your life right now
- Our time together will be an opportunity to investigate your current habit and how it’s working, how to continue this process of positive and forward momentum, and looking at other areas in your life to tweak, all depending on time. :-)
A Note on the Mini-Mastermind Calls…
- As a current member of two mastermind groups, I can say that these have had an amazing impact on my life. I’m excited to introduce the experience of this into the Positive Habit Challenge
- Share what you’re working on, leave with clear action steps, ask questions, brainstorm ideas, learn from others, and offer the wisdom you have – it’s a win-win-win
- If you’re unfamiliar with what a Mastermind Group is, check out this post that gives you the whole run down, and it’s from my buddy Jacob (he’s in one of my groups) :-)
Behind it all…
We all know bad habits are hard to break. Good habits are even harder to start! We are wired to resist change, so it’s about creating improvements in a way that our brains don’t even notice it! This is done through laughably small baby steps.
Want to start meditating? Start with 60 seconds.
Want to exercise more? Go on the treadmill for two minutes. Yes, just two. I’m not kidding.
Now obviously, this won’t be where you end up at the end of the month, but it’s how you’ll get there. For many years, I didn’t read any books. I decided to change that one year by committing to reading 20 pages every day. My goal was 20 books by the end of the year – I read almost 30. Totally blew my previous record (1?) out of the water. See my favorites here.
The fact is, awesome habits lead to a more awesome life. What qualifies as more awesome? Well, I think getting more of what I want does.
So what do you want?
- More energy?
- To wake up knowing you are improving your life?
- To tap into your personal power and realize exactly what you are capable of?
Most of all, you probably want this time to be different. You want the habit to stick.
You’ve likely made resolutions and forgotten them by February. You’ve tried to take the first steps towards change, but you’ve fallen short.
You need support. You need accountability. You need momentum.
Join “30 Days of Fundy’s” to build that momentum.
Running for 30 consecutive days, each person will choose ONE POSITIVE practice to add to his or her life.
Now can be the time to finally start doing one action that you know you need to do (and that’s good for you)! Maybe it’s stretching, reading, or smiling.
There is scientific evidence that it takes at least 21 days (without missing a day) for our brain to form a habit – we’re in this game of life for the long-haul, though, so we’re going to ensure it’s there by rocking out a full month!
The Fundy Rules:
- Habit: Choose ONE (not 2 or 3 or 4) specific and positive habit to incorporate into your life. I cannot stress enough to keep this simple. If you try to lump everything into one, like “eat healthy and exercise and meditate all before 8 am” and you haven’t been doing this, chances are it will be very difficult to stick with any of these habits.
- Make your habit ridiculously easy to begin; when you look at your habit written down, you’ll want to laugh. Seriously. It has to be so easy that it would be impossible (!) for you to not do it.
- Time: This activity needs to take 15 minutes or less to complete each day
- When: Practice this habit at the same time each day, whether it’s an actual time (for example, 9 AM) or relative (as soon as you wake up) – be specific! This is your TRIGGER – it’s important that every time your trigger occurs, you do the habit! No exceptions. Choose something already in your routine as your trigger, like waking up, eating breakfast, taking a shower, or going out the front door.
- Use as many of your senses as possible in the ritual to help condition your brain and create associations (for example, wear the same clothes and/or be in the same room)
- Why: You will identify why you are doing this – for family, friends, health – this will keep you motivated!
- Obstacles: identify what will get in your way as you commit to this and HOW you will overcome it. The second part is key; this way, you’ll be ready for those hurdles on your path.
- Reward: (’cause life is fun) every 5 days you are consistent, you get to reward yourself – maybe it’s a special treat, a toy, a trip to the beach, a day at the library – whatever works for you, something that you truly enjoy and actually look forward to
- Reports: check in with the Fundy group every day (highly encouraged!), or at least every two days, to share your progress. I guarantee you’ll get more out of all this and will be more successful if you check in regularly. Anyone can start the check-in thread for that day. Share how your habit is affecting your emotions, your behaviors, your focus, your productivity, and your general quality of life!
- Bonus: Make yourself publicly accountable – update your progress on a blog, send an email out to family and friends, or post the Fundy worksheet for all to see!
- Tracking:You are encouraged to track your progress – keep metrics however you can!
- If it’s a food-related practice, take pictures or keep a food journal
- If it’s weight related, record your weight each day
- Make notes in your journal, record a video, write a blog post – find a way and see your momentum build!
More on the Habit/Trigger relationship, from Leo Baubata of ZenHabits.com
What you want to do is create a strong bond between the trigger and the new habit. So each time the trigger happens, you need to consciously do the new habit. It has to be very conscious and deliberate at first, but over time this gets easier and the new habit becomes almost automatic. Do it as consistently as possible, every time the trigger happens. The less consistent you are, the weaker the bond between trigger and habit. The more consistent, the stronger the bond.
Habit Ideas (if you’re lookin’):
This challenge is open to all practices; here are some ideas from past participants…
No habit is too small – remember, it’s all about baby steps towards greatness!
What’s the #1 thing you could start doing that would have the most powerful benefit on your life? Guess what? It’s time to rock that! :-)
Have you already read how 58 Creative, Positive and Productive Dynamos Build Momentum?
I was almost 30 and I still didn’t floss regularly – and I knew it was good for me!
When I first started meditating (at the beginning of 2010), I would do it for two minutes and it was absolute torture – it felt like two hours and I kept thinking “when is this going to be over?!”
So where am I now?
I don’t care if it’s 3 AM in a Brooklyn apartment or if I’m in a tiny hut on the north shore of Oahu (both are true stories) – I’m going to floss. Sometimes I floss twice a day!
My meditation practice has been consistent over the last 400+ days – there is no way I’m planning on missing this, and now 20 minutes feels like two! :-)
So what changed?
I committed to each of these actions on a daily basis, made my goals super simple (to start), and never gave up on myself.
What others have said about 30 Days of Fundy’s…
You have no idea the changes that honoring a commitment to myself has made to my life – the self-esteem, the self-acceptance, the self-love and nurturing… I cannot begin to put it all into words. Wow!
-Vicky H., London, UK
Prior to accepting this challenge, I have never committed to anything THAT WAS GOOD FOR ME so fully. I’ve tried, over the years, to find myself in certain daily routines that would help with self-improvement, but alas, frequently faltered. As a result of failing at these previous attempts of self-improvement, I convinced myself I had no discipline.
This commitment to flossing has awoken a new found level of commitment within myself that has driven me to succeed in other small tasks throughout my day. It has also awoken a desire to succeed on a larger scale, but doing so by the use of baby steps and patience, so as to avoid becoming ovewhelmed and now knowing that through this effort, true success can be found.
Thank you, Nathan, for this new found self-discovery!
-Bill E., Troy, NY
Never in my life did I think I could be a morning person or be on time or anything in that nature. I just always believed that’s how and who I was. I have finally embraced and become a morning person. It’s changed my morning and evening habits and I love being able to have time for myself and God in the morning before I have to run out and face the world. I hope you do this again Nathan. I did it!! And now I am a morning person who arrives on time! Thank you!!
-Juanita C., Los Angeles, CA
We’ve had one person commit to flossing and, inspired by his own action, take the steps to finding a new line of work – one more in line with his interests and passion – something he had wanted to do for a while. Another participant began a practice of meditating daily and realized she also wanted to incorporate her love of singing into her life – she does that daily now, too.
Improvement breeds improvement!
Choose the package that’s right for you:
Registration is now over. If you’d like to be notified of the next Challenge, sign up here.
**All calls will be recorded and available to download as an MP3**
100% Money-Back Guarantee: I want to do everything I can to make sure you have a super habit in your life. At the end of the challenge, if you have practiced your habit consistently every day and have tracked your progress, and have found no benefit or improvement to your life, let me know and I will refund your cost 100%.
Free systems can work, but usually they don’t. I have owned so many books (now ebooks) that I got for free and never read. I wasn’t financially invested. Same thing here. There isn’t a cost associated with failure. By incentivizing your success, we create the optimal environment for you to achieve your goal. In addition, there are a lot of added bonuses you wouldn’t get in free systems. By basing this process on fact, science, and good ol’ accountability, we’re going to rock the next 30 days and get you in the habit!