We’re back to New York today (at least on the blog)!
Recently I spent about two months (my longest stretch to date) in and around the five boroughs. Thanks to my friend Electra, I was connected with the very sweet and the very cool Dennis Hearn.
Among many other pursuits, Dennis is an actor and has worked in New York on stage and film – including an upcoming Tom Hanks/Sandra Bullock project.
I had the pleasure of chatting with Dennis on a couple of occasions. Here, we had a great talk right in Washington Square Park at a trademark NY diner.
What we covered:
- The 1960’s “Happening” that Dennis is planning
- His connection to Kent State
- Living in SoHo before it was even known as Soho!
Though Dennis was nervous about doing the chat in one take, you’ll see that he (a true professional actor) was fine; I’M the one that needs to work on my lines… :-)
Whose work has made a direct impact on your life?
More on what Dennis is up to:
- Oil Lamp.com: Dennis’ business – “The Information and Market Resource”
- Judson Memorial Church is located right in Greenwich Village, and describes itself as a “a sanctuary for progressive activism and artistic expression.”
- Al Carmines, the associate pastor at Judson: read about him at Wikipedia and the NY Times. Dennis later mentioned that sharing Al’s legacy could be his life work. Powerful and cool stuff.
- Socrates: I botched the quote a bit in the video – here’s the idea I was grasping for: he was the only person aware that he doesn’t really know anything (for more, read about Socrates and the Oracle at Delphi at Wikipedia).
I’d love to hear your response to the question above and any other comments you have.
Until next time,