There’s (at least) one thing that’s been missing as I’m traveling full time: donating my time, energy, and resources.
It’s important for me to give back, to be of service to others, and to share the gifts I have.
I’m the first to realize how ridiculously awesome my life is and I’m uber-grateful for it all.
Now: how can I redirect that energy outward and do some good in the world?!
I have an idea…
Healthy Living – for the Children!
With each of my Healthy Living guides, I will donate a percentage of my sales to local charities, organizations and non-profits who are in the service of children.
Each month, a different charity is chosen to receive the sales.
Here’s how it’ll go down:
- In a particular city, I’ll choose 12 organizations
- Beginning in January 2012, one organization will be hooked up with earning the sales
- Then in February, another; in March, another, and so on and so forth all the way through December 2012
- Assuming Nostradamus and the Mayans were off, we’ll pick this up in January 2013 with a new theme (see below) and 12 new charities in that city
For every Healthy Living guide, this will be repeated in that guide’s city.
I’ll begin with whatever guides have been published by 1/1/12: so far, that’s Seattle and Portland. I do have plans to complete more by then, and/or will roll them out during 2012, hooking up charities as we go along.
That pic above is from my time as a volunteer in 2009 with the Young Storytellers Foundation (kids write 5-page screenplays) – I had such a fun time with that group + they’re on my list to be one of the 12 in LA!
20% + 30% + 50% = Awesomeness
During the month:
- Each organization will receive 20% cash of ALL sales of their city’s guide
- PLUS, they can earn 50% cash of sales through a special link they can give out/put on their site, etc.
After their month, they can continue earning 30% cash of sales, while also helping other local charities.
With something this widespread, there’s the potential to raise a lot of money.
What number would I LOVE to hit?
Donating $5000 per month. Yeah, that sounds pretty cool to start.
I also want to think long-term with this: how much can I raise for others over the next 5 years? 10 years?
How about 1 million dollars. Or maybe even 50 million dollars. Heck, Baker just announced his awesome goal of 1 billion dollars (that’s right, Dr. Evil)!
Whatever the amount, here’s the bottom line: as much as we can!
How YOU Can Get Involved!
- Do you know children’s charities/non-profits/org’s in Seattle, Portland (OR), Vancouver (BC), Chicago, New York, San Francisco or Los Angeles?
- Send your suggestions and ideas over:
- If needed, I’ll do a vote for the 12 chosen in each city
- Include any contact information for those places if you have it!
- Help to get the word out there – Facebook, Twitter, email
Sign up as a PARTNER + I’ll hook YOU up with 30% cash of the sales you refer + the children still get 20%!
I’m supporting you, you’re supporting me, and together we’re supporting others in need: that’s a win-win-win!!!
I’ll also be reaching out to all the businesses and organizations in each guide to hook them up with the 30% – I’m excited to support local entrepreneurs too!
Any questions, thoughts, suggestions, ideas? Leave a comment below or send me an .
Selecting The Yearly Theme
I’m lovingly borrowing this “theme” concept from Oprah. Each year, she picks where she will focus her energy, and it may be more than one issue. There are so many worthwhile causes out there, and with so many people asking for her resources, it’s the only way she can have traction and depth.
Other causes and groups I’m excited to get involved with (no particular order):
- Disease Prevention
- Civil Servants
- Intellectual & Developmental Differences
- and others!
More Giving Ahead
I’ll still be looking for ways to donate and volunteer in person wherever I am; this is just a way to start giving back immediately!
Plus, I think it’ll be fun. :-)
The Healthy Living guides (in a future version) will also include the category “JOIN,” to single out the spots where you can get involved, whether it’s at a soup kitchen, cleaning up a park, or other short-term volunteering.
NEXT GUIDE: TAKE THE TRAIN FOR FREE!
I’m currently working on my latest guide: Take the Train for Free (and other Legal Amtrak Hacks), and plan to publish it in early November – just in time for YOUR holiday travel! :-)
That’s it from NAHQ – hope you’re doing awesome, and just one last question:
How will you give back?
I’d love to hear your answer + any comments you have below (+ + sign up as a partner/affiliate!)
Until next time,
Did you enjoy this post?
Share it + Sign up! :-)