Affirmations, Declarations + Mantras for Optimal Living! (including what I use!)
I’ve seen that if I want positive experiences in my life, I need to have positive thoughts.
For many years, I was very closed off—not sure I’d categorize myself as “negative,” but certainly not happy-go-lucky.
A few years ago, I never would have even thought about using daily affirmations—I mean, isn’t that stuff just for Stuart Smalley and total self-help junkies??
Turns out, nope.
Like many of the things I practice and share here (meditation, nutrition, exercise), I’ve absolutely seen how important this is when I’m traveling—and I *know* that there’s value in it for YOU, too—wherever you are!
Just like anyone else, I have days when I wake up in a funk, or with less-than-optimal energy, or maybe I’m stuck in comparing myself to others, or disappointed with where I am, or… you get the idea. :)
Again: having a foundation to return to, a core practice that I can use every day, has been essential in creating an optimal life!
How I Use Affirmations
Below is the list I started out with about 2+ years ago; some minor tweaks here and there, but basically, this is what has worked for me.
These ideas had been rattling around in my head and I finally typed up these thoughts on October 12, 2010 (just a few weeks before I left for Hawaii)—I found this process also helped ingrain them.
I also don’t think it’s just a coincidence that first I had these affirmations, and then I sold everything, went to Hawaii, and continued to create a life I’m excited about!
Yup: first do the work; then see results! :)
Recently, I re-committed to this list and have been saying it everyday after morning meditation—makes a HUGE difference in how I start my days!
I have this ritual where after the 30 minutes of Blissitation (meditation) are up, I keep my eyes closed and bring my head to the ground. I don’t open my eyes or come up until after I’ve gone through all of these. I repeat each one at least a few, if not several, times.
For the same reasons we shut our eyes for meditation, I find keeping the outside world “out” during my practice of going through these really helps my brain focus on each one.
It may take me 10 minutes to get through this list, but I can feel the difference in makes: I feel light, energized, and positive!
And heck—10 minutes is nothing when it leads to that result!! :)
Where Can You Find Mantras
Some of these came from Deepak Chopra, from PhilosophersNotes, others from friends, or yoga classes.
Like many things in life, it’s a compilation of experiences.
If any of these resonate with ya, feel free to grab and integrate into your own practice. Even if you only start with one (might I suggest “Thank You”?), that’s awesome! Baby steps!! :)
I see TONS of positive statements like the one at the top (btw: good advice!! :) on Facebook these days (I think we’re all in search of more good mojo!).
It doesn’t matter where you hear a mantra, or even if you make one up! Just start!
Declarations for Optimal Living!
1) I am so grateful for another opportunity to share my gifts with the world, and another chance to be the person I choose to be.
2) I choose to connect to and express the Divine within me as I have fun giving my greatest gifts in the greatest service to the World.
3) I will expand in success, creativity, kindness, generosity, abundance and love every day as I inspire those around me to do the same as I succeed, create, am kind, generous, abundant, and as I love.
4) I love and accept myself completely.
5) I’m totally independent of the good and bad opinions of me.
[The following sentence helped me really understand this one: Others’ opinions are purely a projection of what is going on in their lives.]
6) I am beneath no one and no one is beneath me.
7) I playfully handle any and all challenges in my life. Hold it lightly.
8) There is nothing that I cannot be, do, or have.
9) I am here on this planet to experience outrageous joy.
10) My life’s objectives are to be conscious and to create value.
11) I create financial freedom.
12) I am so grateful for it all. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
13) Today is the greatest day of my life.
14) I spread peace by example, as I go forward with loving actions, loving words, and loving thoughts.
By the way, it doesn’t matter if you call these affirmations, declarations, or mantras—pick the word that works for you. Personally, I like “declarations”—I’m all about declaring to the world what I’m here to do—and then actually doing it! :)
Quick side note: “mantra” literally means “tools for the mind” in Sanskrit, so whatever you call them—time to put these tools to work!!
What’s one of your favorite declarations?
I’d love to hear your response + any other thoughts you have below.
Looking forward to learning more!